Thursday, February 21, 2013


SPRING TRAINING: Inciarte excited about opportunity

For Montgomery Media / ERIC HARTLINE Philadelphia Phillies outfielder Ender Inciarte during spring training workouts on Wednesday in Clearwater, Fla.
CLEARWATER, Fla. – When Ender Inciarte woke from a long morning of sleep in Venezuela one day early December, he saw 18 missed calls from his older brother and panicked.

"I was in winter ball, and we had to travel the whole night," Inciarte said. "So I was sleeping late, and he saw the news and started calling me.

"When I saw all the calls I was worried. I thought something had happened, but then he told me the news."

The news was that the 22-year-old outfielder had been selected by the Phillies in the Rule 5 draft on the morning of the final day of baseball's Winter Meetings. It meant a new start and his first opportunity to show major-league coaches what he could do in camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment